24 October 2007

I is for Infectious


This month's spotlight on St. Francis de Sales is from the pen (er, keyboard!) of our Sister Maureen de Chantal. One could say that Salesian Spirituality is infectious ... and anyone who spends any time with Sister Maureen is bound to discover this!
Forty years ago, I was a student here at Visitation. Back then, I knew that St. Jane de Chantal and St. Francis de Sales had founded the Order, but there was little or nothing taught about Salesian spirituality in any formal way. The spirit of our Founders as well as the Visitation charism were both something that we “caught” from the example of the sisters. Their lives demonstrated a love of God and a gentle love for each of us, and we were grateful. At that time one of my teachers gave me a holy card with a quote from St. Francis de Sales on it:

"Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow. The same Everlasting Father who takes care of you today, will take care of you tomorrow, and every day. He will either shield you from suffering or give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations."

Thirty-two years after graduating from Georgetown Visitation, I returned, this time as a postulant. Last December I made my solemn vows. I know much more about St. Francis de Sales now, and I try to live his practical spirituality every day: Live in the present moment, be aware of the presence of God in my every day ordinary life, offer Him each moment and action in my life. And I share it – with love- with my students.

May God be Praised!

No comments: