03 September 2012

Devotions from the Visitation Sisters, a week with Sr. Mary Roberta

When I'm really open to the day's Gospel as I read it or hear it every day, I know it won't leave me without doing its work in me (cf., Heb. 4:12). That's thanks to God's great mercy that St. Gregory the Great (today's saint) points out so strongly in his writings. Then it's up to me to go out and do the day's work God gives me - even on this Labor Day holiday!

Today St. Luke tells us (4:16-30) that Our Lord did His work of reading and interpreting Old Testament Scripture in the synagogue in His hometown of Nazareth. But He was only the local carpenter's son and assistant - a common, village workman - who also happened to be God! So they ran him out of town.


Like Jesus, I want my work (and words) to lead those I meet today to exclaim the same thing our holy founder, St. Francis de Sales wanted his listeners and acquaintances to exclaim when they reacted to his preaching and to his life: "How good God is, how just!" [letter to a priest]. And then he wanted them to go out and do likewise. If we did, what a different world we'd live in!

Sr. Mary Roberta Viano, VHM



Image from http://bibleseo.com/biblestudyblog/bible-images/jesus-clip-art-collection-free-clip-arts-jesus-christ/

No comments: